Thursday, November 12, 2009

Love hate relationship

Ahhh carbs.  How much do I love thee?

I love thee in tortilla chips with lots of gooey cheese.
I love thee in pasta dishes that always seem to please.
I love thee in thy rolls and bread
I love thee with crackers in bed (not really, but it rhymed)

*sigh*  I love carbs.  But as much as any food can be the enemy, (and that's a whole 'nother blog entry) carbs are it for me.

But even as a pre-diabetic it is important I get GOOD carbs.  Here's one of my favorite ways:

Breakfast!

1 serving plain oatmeal, cooked
4 oz plain tofu, preferably soft
fruit, fresh or frozen, make sure there is no added sugar

Combine the three, mushing up the tofu and mixing in the fruit.  Complex carbs from the oatmeal, protein from the tofu (which you won't taste- trust me) and simple carbs from the fruit.  A good way to kick off the day.

.

1 comment:

  1. I too, am a carb lover. A meat lover. A chocolate lover. A-any-kind-of-food lover unfortunately. Food is a horrible, horrible crutch for me. I try so hard to not let it control me, but I do not always have good luck with that. I have lost a total of 6 lbs since we all started meeting, which is totally amazing to me because it feels like I'm not really trying as hard as I should be and making the extra effort to eat more sensibly. I have been drinking more water, using the elevator less, trying to NOT snack late at night....but it just never seems enough, ya know? Well I am done for now but I know next week will be hard because of Thanksgiving and that damn bird..............

    ReplyDelete