Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Empress' New Clothes

One of my lame excuses for NOT trying to lose weight over the years has been the whole "Gotta buy new clothes" thing.  Right.  Like I'd hate to give up my size 18-20 clothing in exchange for size 14.  (that's my goal eventally- anything smaller and I'd lose my Marilyn-esque curves)

But actually, I will be sad when I no longer fit in my favorite pair of jeans because THEY FIT.  They fit wonderfully, designed for people who are shaped like me- an hourglass with most of the time run out.

I got these jeans at Lane Bryant. They now have a new sizing program for their jeans and some of their slacks.  Instead of what I used to be, I'm now a "blue 2 average"

Yup.  I'm a size 2.  Whoop!  Brilliant.

There's also "red" and "yellow" for body shapes- blue is for hourglass, red is for apple, yellow is for straight up and down.  I think.  I just look for the blue dot, so the other colors don't really enter my radar.

Lane Bryant costs more than Wal Mart.  Quality costs more than throwaway.  But I tell you what- I have never had a pair of jeans that fit as well as those do, and I'm willing to shell out $50-60 for them, as opposed to $25 for crappy jeans that don't fit and I end up hating.

That said- I really look forward to the time when I can shop at Target or Hot Topic or some other "normal" clothing store and not have to paw through the dregs of the 3 plus sized styles they deign to offer.  What's UP with that? 

Seriously- the average sized woman is now over a size 14, yet major affordable retailers STILL concentrate on the 12 and below market.  No WONDER fat women have self esteem problems- we have the choice of paying more for quality clothes or wearing ugly ass muumuus.  Sweat pants and shirts with Tweety Bird on them.  Shapeless formless blobs that someone thought would be good to use to camouflage the fact that we're bigger than Twiggy.  You know what camouflages that?  (well, besides not being bigger than Twiggy) Well tailored clothes.  Clothes that fit.  Sure- we'll never look like a size 3 if we're a size 22, but at least give us the chance to look NICE.

WHEW!  Rant off.  I think I need to go lie down.

No comments:

Post a Comment