Saturday, October 31, 2009

Ups & Downs, or I Was Called Stupid by a Centenarian

Gorgeous happy day here in beautiful Kansas.

As many of you know, we are fortunate enough to have Bo's great aunt Wyonna (Sue) living about 30 miles from us.  She just hit 99 years old in June and, while she's slowing down, she's still healthy and sharp as a tack.

Let me back up.  Last Saturday we went to a Halloween party at some friends' house.  I made Rice Krispy treats, and managed to burn the boo-jeebus out of my arm because I forgot the pot was hot.  dur.  MELTED marshmallows, MELTED butter. 

Today we went to see Aunt Sue and Kate mentioned my burn.  Aunt Sue listened to the story, then laughed uproariously, slapped her thigh and proceeded to tell me what a stupid thing that was to do.  Evidently it was a high point of her day.  :)  Not so much for me, but it was kind of funny.  I just hope when I'm 99 I'm still able to call younguns stupid.

After we got home I hopped on my bike and rode downtown.  It's about 2 miles from my house to work, and a few hundred more yards to where I wanted to go.  (brow wax touch up- I'm beginning to really like that)  Sure, I could have driven there, the car wasn't being used, but by riding my bike I got to smell the fallen leaves, get a good look at the neighborhood Halloween decorations, enjoy the crisp air.

Unfortunately, I was reminded that some people don't see bikes on the street.  I wasn't hurt, I wasn't even close to being hit, but it was yet another in a long string of "How the heck can you NOT SEE ME?" moments.

Since I think I'm going to be adding bike riding to my getting-healthy repertoire, I stopped in to Sunflower to check out headlights, rear view mirrors and tiny hot evildoers.  (long story)  I now have a Christmas wish and a mirror on order.  Yay!

Anyway- I ended up biking/walking just over 4 miles today, I feel tired and kind of sweaty (eew) but good.  Not dead, I didn't push it too far, but right now I think that just getting MOVING is a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment